Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Aging

It’s funny how things change. I am going to see my mom this weekend. I was talking to a coworker this morning about my out of office time. When I told her where I was going the first response was, “is she okay?” 

So, we are at that age now? I don’t just go see my mom anymore? Maybe I’m going because she ill or dying or something? I’ll have to let her know. It’s like being at the doctor if you have lost weight. First question…. Did you lose it on purpose? That’s the same as saying “you are at the cancer age now, start worrying about that.” 

Bella is just looking so old now. I know she is “only” eleven, but it seems to be sinking in this year. 

600_3917 

The intensity is still there, but the duration has shortened. No more hours of anything. More like a good 20 minute run, then, "I’ll be over here eating grass when you’re ready to go.” It’s sort of unnerving to see her decide to NOT go get a ball. Bella is not a “meh” kinda dog. 

Kate is not really physically aging. Will forever be a ball freak. She is just relaxing a bit. She walks sometimes now. Will sleep in different places without looking like world is going to stop spinning. Definitely aging gracefully. 

036-Pensive 

My housemate goes to work pretty early. I let all the dogs out before I go to work at a later (and way more reasonable) hour. Poor Myka, the oldest in the house at 12, is losing her hearing. Physically she is great, but instead of “My, let’s go” it is now, ‘myka, Myka, MYKA!”  :)

I also didn’t think she was looking older. Looking at photos this morning, though? 

Totally graying out. 

You don’t really notice the progression on a merle dog. 

Myka in 2009

  DSC_2535 

Last year!

  600_1460

Her color may have mellowed, but she's still a shit!

3 comments:

  1. Awww, I just Love this!! Love order dogs. I think they show us more love and how to live our lives in the last years of their lives. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the older, wiser, sage of dogs. It is hard and sad to see them slow down, but they still have ions to offer in their grass-eating wisdom days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dogs! Just like people they slow down as they get older. However, they are our best friends till the end.

    ReplyDelete